Monday, December 20, 2010

Straw Sippy!

A while back (maybe 2 months ago?), I got Elliott two new sippy cups. These were different than the 'normal' sippy cups because they had a straw. They are no-spill, and the straw flips down and hides away if I wanted to carry the sippy in Elliott's diaper bag. Awesome! Well... what they don't tell you is that the cups are no-spill because the straw has an anti-leak system in them that allows liquid to only pass through when a biting + sucking action occurs. Do you know how hard it is to get a baby to bite THEN suck on a straw?? Let me tell you--it's not easy! I gave Elliott the new sippy at every mealtime, but eventually it just became another object for him to throw on the ground when he was bored. (Not with me, of course... with the food...)

I have jokingly given him the no-spill straw sippy a handful of times over the past two months and each time he would toss it aside. I have friends whose babies, all born the same month as Elliott, have tried the bite and suck sippy cups--some have mastered them and some haven't. I really didn't think it was too big of a deal. We have already packed every single bottle away so there is no going back as far as that is concerned, and he drinks wonderfully from a 'normal' sippy. He even drinks well from a normal straw. (Which, oddly enough, he loves to chew on while he drinks...)

Today I was in the kitchen and wanted to give Elliott some water, and the first sippy cup I put my hands on was a no-spill straw sippy. "Uh oh", I though. "I'm just going to waste this water and then end up having to go get a normal sippy."

I handed him the cup. Much to my surprise, Elliott started gulping water! YAY! I looked down and he was drinking from the bite and suck straw sippy cup like a pro! I clapped and made a big deal... and of course he looked at me like I was crazy.

I don't have any plans on switching him to all straw sippy cups any time soon, but it is nice to know that he can drink from them if need be. These are what his no-spill straw sippy cups look like:
(today he was drinking from the green and yellow one, but he also has the all orange one)
Luv N' Care Nuby 12 oz Mega Sipper

No comments: